HomeMy EtsyQuiltingSewingEmbroideryFiber Arts

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Quilting an Antique Hand Pieced quilt

I LOVE old quilts!   Just love them.   A friend brought me one to quilt for her.   It is a beautiful Churn Dash block quilt.  Like most hand pieced quilts, the maker is able to fit pretty much any size block together to make a quilt top.   The reason for making the quilt top is not to match the seams but to finish the top.   Quilts like this pose problems for longarmers.   This one is no different.

I got the quilt loaded on the machine and immediately knew the pieces used in the quilt block are not uniform.   I pulled out my handy spray starch and gave it a quick, heavy shot across the first row and let it dry.   There were still some places where there was more fabric than space but I'm hoping to be able to work them in.   Here is a picture of the piece with too much fabric.
You can see on the right side how much extra fabric there is but on the left side, it quilted out smooth. 
I'm going to work on it some more today and I'll most more pictures tomorrow.

Hope you are all enjoying your quarantine and making lots of fun projects!  I've made more than 500 masks - most I've given away but I have sold about 25 on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment