HomeMy EtsyQuiltingSewingEmbroideryFiber Arts

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Is it really July?


 Oh my goodness, how the time has flown!   My precious new grandson is now 2 1/2 months old and has stolen all of our hearts!

 Then the garden began producing some wonderful veggies such as these beets!   Yummy baked in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil!  You must try these! 
 Also the new potatoes and a couple of cherry heirloom tomatoes.   I picked a few yellow cherry tomatoes but they never made it into the house.   Hmmm, wonder why?
 Next we took a two week trip to Colorado.   We took my 8 year old grandson and 14 year old granddaughter with us.   Fishing was first and foremost the most important thing to both of them.   Tyler caught 25 fish and Abby came in with about 15.   Most were catch and release but about 10 we kept for the fish fry. 
These pictures are taken in Gunnison, CO where my brother and sister in law lives.  Our nephew got married and we were able to celebrate with them during this special time.   The weather was gorgeous, mid 70's and sunny the entire time we were there.  

 The trip included a ride on the Durango-Silverton Train which was a great ride - the aspen were leafed out and whispered to us the whole way.  We also stopped in Manassa to visit with my niece and her family.   After all this, we went up to Denver to visit with my sisters, Mom and my niece from New Zealand.   The day before we headed back to Texas is when the horrific fires began.  The gorgeous mountain ranges we had been in are now charred.   So sad!
 After arriving home I had to mail out a table runner swap that I was in on one of my yahoo groups, SewGoodFriends.   This is the runner I made for my swap partner.  Since it was close to July 4th, I chose to use patriotic colors.   The only requirement was it had to be made of snowball blocks.   This is a close up of the quilting around the blocks.  The rest was done stitch in the ditch.  My swap partner had mailed hers to me while I was gone and was waiting for me when I returned.



 Feeling the need to tackle a new pattern, I made up this "Plus" quilt.  I used a charm pack and matching jelly roll to make it.  I will still need to add the borders, quilt and bind it in time for my older sister's birthday in October.   She is a red fanatic!   I really like it too.
 My group at church, NP Comforts, is making placemats this year for the Meals on Wheels recipients in our county, approximately 170 people.   Last year we made pillowcases.   This is one of the placemats I'm working on.  I am quilting the fabric, cutting it into 13x18 size and then I bring them to our meetings each month and the other ladies help to add the binding.   One of the other ladies is doing some with jelly rolls on pre-quilted backing.   Another lady is crocheting some and one other is using orphaned quilt blocks and making the placemats out of those.   Such a talented, generous group of people!


 This is one of the jelly roll quilts my friend and I donated to the West, TX families.   The quilt guild there was asking for donations to help out the families affected by that fire and we were so priviledged to be able to help.
Finally, last but not least, I signed up for another block exchange that will span a year's time.  It is a tea cup block, 8.5x8.5 unfinished.  I used patriotic fabrics, ric rac, and hot fix jewels on my blocks for July.   I can't wait to see the ones everyone else is making.   Should make into a really cute quilt.   

I hope your summer has been full of blessings and fun.   Keep sewing, quilting and crafting.....till then God Bless!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment