HomeMy EtsyQuiltingSewingEmbroideryFiber Arts

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New Weighted Blanket

Got up around 3am to the thought of "why haven't I done that weighted blanket for my friend Sandy's grandson?   Sandy owns a great quilt shop here in Joshua and donated fabric for about 60 pillowcases for my church group's Christmas project.  In talking, I found out she has a grandson who is autistic and needed a weighted blanket.   These blankets contain small beads that are used in bean bags to give weight to them making the children feel secure.   It took me several tries to get a method that works for me and this is what I came up with.  


 This is a close up of the blanket where you can more clearly see the pockets.  
I sew up lots of pockets about 3x4" filled with the beads and then put them in the quilt sandwich.  They are so heavy and really put a drag on my machine but other than that, they are not hard to make.   I've heard they cost upwards of $200 or more.   The foster care program that first approached me about doing them cannot afford those prices, thus I volunteer.  If you've ever had any experience sewing these, I'd love to hear how you do them, pros and cons.  Thanks

I hope your Easter weekend is full of blessings as we remember the sacrifice made for us by our Lord and Savior!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment